A2 Jetta question; hard to get into reverse

> Probably is the adjustment or the bushings or both.  Usually the the linkage
> doesn't just go out of adjusment unless someone is messing with it so I

Not so! I've seen the linkage adjustment "jump splines" a couple of times
when someone was loading a heavy object in to the passenger seat and they
smacked the shift lever hard side-to-side. Once the shift lever has moved
fully to one side and stopped, all the torque created goes in to the
splined coupling and it can break the coupling loose enough to move it a
spline or two.

Check your bushings, but definitely check your linkage adjustment as well.
A little bit of adjustment (1 mm) can go a long way towards better shifter
operation.

-Toby