A2 Jetta question; hard to get into reverse

I'll tell my friend about the linkage adjustment.  Is
there a special tool to adjust the linkage?  How
different is it from the Sciroccos linkage?  I can
adjust mine by trial and error, as currently mine is
going to third gear instead of first, but was my fauly
when I did it on my car.
I forgot at the time when I was looking at the car,
that I had the problem in my Scirocco with the
adjustment.  I do remember it was my friend shifting
the car when it was off and the next time it was drive
reverse was first gear, but the problem was fixed.
--- "T. Reed" <treed2@u.washington.edu> wrote:
> > Probably is the adjustment or the bushings or
> both.  Usually the the linkage
> > doesn't just go out of adjusment unless someone is
> messing with it so I
>
> Not so! I've seen the linkage adjustment "jump
> splines" a couple of times
> when someone was loading a heavy object in to the
> passenger seat and they
> smacked the shift lever hard side-to-side. Once the
> shift lever has moved
> fully to one side and stopped, all the torque
> created goes in to the
> splined coupling and it can break the coupling loose
> enough to move it a
> spline or two.
>
> Check your bushings, but definitely check your
> linkage adjustment as well.
> A little bit of adjustment (1 mm) can go a long way
> towards better shifter
> operation.
>
> -Toby

=====