Shipping a Hood ?

At 08:29 PM 9/4/03 -0700, Kevin Collins wrote:

>Memories... my 1st full-time job, back in 1976 at age 18, was unloading
>truckloads of GM parts that had come in from the plant in Fremont. Those
>fuckers would ship everything from hoods & fenders to rear axles &
>other inane parts out of that depot.  I was apalled at how they tendered
>it to us (air freight forwarder) for shipping via commercial airlines -
>fenders with just a brown wrapper on them, axles 100% bare with a tag tied
>to one end with a ship-to address, etc.  The claim rate on this stuff HAD
>to be astronomical.
>
>When FedEx or UPS get their mitts on this kind of stuff, that's even worse
>- all bets are off!
>
>--
>Kevin Collins
>Huntington Beach, CA
>'86.5 16v 2.0
>'02 GTI 337

I've gotten two MkI fenders shipped to me like this; well with a little
cardboard around the edges so nobody gets cut or anything and they have
arrived perfect on UPS.  The second one I asked for it to be shipped that
way after the first one came that way.  I guess it can go two different
way, but the way I figured it was that they could see what it was so they
were a little more careful(maybe they were car guys), and if it were in a
box, a big box no less, it would be at the bottom of the pile.

John