De : scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org]De la part de Julie Macfarlane
Envoy? : lundi 20 octobre 2003 09:28
? : scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Objet : Crank shaft woodruff key Q's

I have discovered the PITA of the cars. The crankshaft bolt came of
REASONABLY easy (took heat on the 12 point bolt), but the key on the
crank/timing belt pully was only about 3mm across instead of the full size
and the slot in the crank was damaged. It is "smeared" a bit, no metal from
the key either, just rust.
Chris, this was a used part right?

I took the part I needed from another 16v and it seems like new, no rust or
damage to the key. Not bad for a worn out engine....
It took a bit of tapping with a BFH to settle it correctly and seems secure.
The bolt was replaced by the 6 point bolt from the older engine.

Q is, will this work for me or do I have a dud engine... I am hoping I dont
have to pull the crank to replace it. If I do.. How much are they?

Also how do I get the engine from turning while I try to tighten the bolt?

Frustrated....

Julie Macfarlane
Menlo Park Research & Development
Internet Application Developer