Crank shaft woodruff key Q's

I have discovered the PITA of the cars. The crankshaft bolt came of
REASONABLY easy (took heat on the 12 point bolt), but the key on the
crank/timing belt pully was only about 3mm across instead of the full size
and the slot in the crank was damaged. It is "smeared" a bit, no metal from
the key either, just rust.
Chris, this was a used part right?

I took the part I needed from another 16v and it seems like new, no rust or
damage to the key. Not bad for a worn out engine....
It took a bit of tapping with a BFH to settle it correctly and seems secure.
The bolt was replaced by the 6 point bolt from the older engine.

Q is, will this work for me or do I have a dud engine... I am hoping I dont
have to pull the crank to replace it. If I do.. How much are they?

Also how do I get the engine from turning while I try to tighten the bolt?

Frustrated....

Julie Macfarlane
Menlo Park Research & Development
Internet Application Developer
www.menloparkrandd.com
www.montgomeryweb.org
Amsterdam NY

Cheer a special someone with a fun Halloween eCard from American Greetings!
Go to  http://www.msn.americangreetings.com/index_msn.pd?source=msne134