8v questions, what can I get from the yard?

This thread is a little confusing to me so I'll just throw in my .02 and see
if it helps.
First any 1.8 VW needs to be stroked to get to 2.0L. Even a mega-overbore of
84.5mm will only net 1938 cc with the stock 1.8 L 86.4mm stroke. A more
plausible overbore of 83mm will get 1869 with an 86.4 stroke. So, if it's
really a 2.0 it needs a bigger crank. Also, the normal 2.0L crank with 92.8
stroke needs to have some clearancing to fit in a 1.8 block. It'll fit, it
just needs some work.
Forged pistons are good and bad. Good because they are stronger. Bad because
they need more clearance with the bore, so the pistons tend to rock in the
bore a little, especially when cold. This rocking not only causes oil
consumption, but tend to wear the rings faster. If your intended
redline/boost pressure can be handled by cast pistons then they will give a
longer life. If you need to run really high RPM or high boost, then the cast
pistons may not last anywhere near as long ;^) Bear in mind there are two
basic alloys used in forged pistons, one is stronger than the other, but
needs alot of clearance, the other is weaker, although still stronger than
cast, and gets by with a clearance that is almost as tight as cast. So,
check which one you got. (basically ask what the piston clearance is. should
be ~.001-.0015 for a streetable slug)
The Fox manifold is supposed to be better (never actually sat down to
compare) and it's easy to drill and tap the manifold to keep the cold start
injector in the normal location.
268 cam with a P & P head, decent exhaust, big TB on a 2.0L should net you
over 120 hp at the wheels. (as long as your WOT switch is working)!
That's all I know.
Dan

I'll