[OT] Re: Was: What kind of VW are you?, Now: spam blocking?

> <soapbox>
> The _WORST_ thing is this:  Spam Works.  No shit.  The successful click
> though and buy rate of spam is like 3+%.  Everybody want spam to stop?
> Don't click though.   Many of them will "know" you've clicked through
> because each email message contains unique portions of the link they
> sent you...and guess what, it just makes the spammers try harder
> knowing they're getting people to react.  So DON'T FRIGGIN' CLICK!
> </soapbox>

This is so true.

And if they give you a unique URL to click on they can also identify you
by your e-mail address as a responder. Your address will wind up on their
"good list" and you'll get more spam.

I think instead of the federal anti-spam laws that are utterly pointless
(why does everybody keep forgetting that the internet is not US-only??),
we need to launch a "say no to spam" campaign. Tell the public that the
best way to stop getting spam is to ignore it completely even if some
part of it looks enticing or relevant. It won't be entirely effective, but
it will be far more successful than passing laws.

-Toby