eliminating coolant expansion tank(why do we need it?)

Robbie Cotner wrote:

> Hey all, I'm on a mission to clean up my engine compartement.  I was
> thinking of all the different places I could move the expansion
> tank, but now I'm thinking of maybe just getting an early Jetta type
> radiator(with the cap on the radiator) and eliminating the expansion
> tank altogether.  What would the disadvantages of this be?  Would it
> work to just pop in the jetta rad, and block off the big lower
> expansion tank hose?  Thanks-
>
> Rob
>
> ---------

- Early type has an Expansion Tank built into the Radiator itself.

- You will need to reroute both the small tube running to the coolant
tank as well as the larger tube underneath. The small diameter metal
pipe routing from the water pump to the head will most likely need
swapping for an early type, as this is were part of the circulation
into the tank comes from. In your case the non tank metal tube should
come on the JH motor already.

- Later Rad will not do the same job minus an expansion tank that an
early style would, but might work well enough.

I am thinking of doing just the opposite, adding the tubing and
expansion tank to an early style rad. This along with my
thermostatically controlled oil cooler should keep me motoring in
adverse conditions.

hth,
TBerk