eliminating coolant expansion tank(why do we need it?)

--0-1626905882-1048283175=:20587

Hey all, I'm on a mission to clean up my engine compartement.  I was thinking of all the different places I could move the expansion tank, but now I'm thinking of maybe just getting an early Jetta type radiator(with the cap on the radiator) and eliminating the expansion tank altogether.  What would the disadvantages of this be?  Would it work to just pop in the jetta rad, and block off the big lower expansion tank hose?  Thanks-

Rob