Concerning U.S./Bush/Iraq

> Can I ask a non-political question though?  Why is it that
> if I ask someone to not post non-topic stuff to the list I
> am wisked to the side but if I accidentally post to the list
> (and others KNEW that it was an off-list conversation brought
> back to the list so it's not that no one knew) everyone
> gets immature and pissy?

Dave, I think that the circumstances and tensions are rather different
regarding this topic than with some others that we've dealt with on the
list. Our country is at war and half the world is in disagreement with our
foreign policy. Furthermore, there is widespread criticism of our actions
even *within* this country. Naturally, an issue this controversial and
important would bring out the same sort of heated discontent on this list,
too. So, when you see somebody babbling off topic about what they had for
lunch it will be treated differently then bombastic comments about
nationalism, patriotism, and any other such "ism" that gets folks really
riled up.

Don't take it totally personally. Just realize that the list has learned
from past issues what will bring us together and what will inevitably drive
us apart. War and civic duty are exactly those types of issues. Stick
around, of course, but be mellow when appropriate, I say.
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut