Slow to rev and 4000 rpm max under load - Ideas to cure? Now cured but overheating badly now!!

--0-90567426-1045995615=:2302

I will have to get a Vernier pulley to adjust the timing a bit more closely. But i will get a dyno set up. What perhaps i shouls have said is that the timing marks are approxiamately there. Enough to set it up.
Leaning out is my thought too. When the shop got stumped they backed off the fuelling to see whether that would help. They didnt put it back so im thinking maybe.
I thought the head might be warped. Will pull it as im going to put a G60 head gasket in there as im running 220psi compression as opposed to stock 175 - 180.
I suspect the head is not warped but i will get it checked/smoothed.
The answers to your questions in order are
No
Yes and then see above and no as i havent changed it back
No - Timing is as per engine marks - you can feel that its not quite there but plenty of power and it really needs a dyno set up as i have a piggy back K-star that i cannot set up.
Took the pinched hose off, stamped on it and threw it into the bin. As yet not replaced so i have a gaping hole into my airbox. Will obtain stronger tubing that the engine cant suck closed!!!
Yes and yes. Looking at ARP bolts now!
Andy

 T Berk <tberk@mindspring.com> wrote:Andy Holmes wrote:

> TMB and I re did the timing 12 times today to no avail. It was only
> after the 12th time did i notice that the rubber boot onto the
> intake pipe/ on top of the metering head was being sucked inwards at
> high revs.
>
> We checked the cold air intake tube and found the tube deforming and
> closing under suction from the engine!! Took that out - that cured
> it!! Superb.
>
> Timing is almost on. Skimmed head looks to have taken about half a
> tooth of adjustment more. Vernier time methinks. Revs sweetly all
> the way.
>
> Turns out timing marks are all in the right place!

This skimmed head thing WILL change the normal timing marks, even if
just a bit. You can allow for it with a manual adjustment OR you could
think about an adjustable end of the cam gear type pulley
thing-a-ma-bob.

> Ran her up through the warming cycle twice. all is well. Get 30
> miles down the road, one minute fine, next minute overheating.
> Overheats after 5 mins or so at 90mph!!

Sounds like it runs too lean.

> Gets so hot that water and oil seeping from between block and head -
> bugger - nother headgasket methinks. Limp last 20 miles home
> overheating twice more!

Head gasket has slipped, might as well call it a warped head. :[)

> Umm - blocked rad? , failed pump? running way lean? God knows -
> given up today. My knight in shining - TMB will come to the rescue!
>
> Any ideas gents?
> Andy

Pull head, get _flattened_, least amount removed while still flat.

Skim (I don't really mean remove material) uh oh- dress the iron block
with fine sand paper wrapped around a block. Clean, clean, clean.
Remove ALL grease prior to reinstall and away you go.

- Did you drill the thermostat last time it was replaced?
- Did you adjust, check the fuel to air ratio any?
- Has the timing therefore been advanced due to the skimming, your
upgrades?
- How did you deal with the pinched hose? Just block it off or replace
with a known good one?
- Did you install the head bolts via spec, did you reuse old bolts?

You are scaring me, the head replacement is just where I am right now.

TBerk

---------------------------------

--0-90567426-1045995615=:2302

<P>I will have to get a Vernier pulley to adjust the timing a bit more closely. But i will get a dyno set up. What perhaps i shouls have said is that the timing marks are approxiamately there. Enough to set it up.
<P>Leaning out is my&nbsp;thought too. When the shop got stumped they backed off the fuelling to see whether that would help. They didnt put it back so im thinking maybe.
<P>I thought the head might be warped. Will pull it as im going to put a G60 head gasket in there as im running 220psi compression as opposed to stock 175 - 180.
<P>I suspect the head is not warped but i will get it checked/smoothed.
<P>The answers to your questions in order are
<P>No
<P>Yes and then see above and no as i havent changed it back
<P>No - Timing is as per engine marks - you can feel that its not quite there but plenty of power and it really needs a dyno set up as i have a piggy back K-star that i cannot set up.
<P>Took the pinched hose off, stamped on it and threw it into the bin. As yet not replaced so i have a gaping hole into my airbox. Will obtain stronger tubing that the engine cant suck closed!!!
<P>Yes and yes. Looking at ARP bolts now!
<P>Andy
<P>&nbsp;
<P>&nbsp;
<P>&nbsp;<B><I>T Berk &lt;tberk@mindspring.com&gt;</I></B> wrote: