Slow to rev and 4000 rpm max under load - Ideas to cure? Now curedbut overheating badly now!!

Andy Holmes wrote:

> TMB and I re did the timing 12 times today to no avail. It was only
> after the 12th time did i notice that the rubber boot onto the
> intake pipe/ on top of the metering head was being sucked inwards at
> high revs.
>
> We checked the cold air intake tube and found the tube deforming and
> closing under suction from the engine!!  Took that out - that cured
> it!! Superb.
>
> Timing is almost on. Skimmed head looks to have taken about half a
> tooth of adjustment more. Vernier time methinks. Revs sweetly all
> the way.
>
> Turns out timing marks are all in the right place!

This skimmed head thing WILL change the normal timing marks, even if
just a bit. You can allow for it with a manual adjustment OR you could
think about an adjustable end of the cam gear type pulley
thing-a-ma-bob.

> Ran her up through the warming cycle twice. all is well. Get 30
> miles down the road, one minute fine, next minute overheating.
> Overheats after 5 mins or so at 90mph!!

Sounds like it runs too lean.

> Gets so hot that water and oil seeping from between block and head -
> bugger - nother headgasket methinks. Limp last 20 miles home
> overheating twice more!

Head gasket has slipped, might as well call it a warped head. :[)

> Umm - blocked rad? , failed pump? running way lean? God knows -
> given up today. My knight in shining - TMB will come to the rescue!
>
> Any ideas gents?
> Andy

Pull head, get _flattened_, least amount removed while still flat.

Skim (I don't really mean remove material) uh oh- dress the iron block
with fine sand paper wrapped around a block. Clean, clean, clean.
Remove ALL grease prior to reinstall and away you go.

- Did you drill the thermostat last time it was replaced?
- Did you adjust, check the fuel to air ratio any?
- Has the timing therefore been advanced due to the skimming, your
upgrades?
- How did you deal with the pinched hose? Just block it off or replace
with a known good one?
- Did you install the head bolts via spec, did you reuse old bolts?

You are scaring me, the head replacement is just where I am right now.

TBerk