Slow to rev and 4000 rpm max under load - Ideas to cure? Now cured but overheating badly now!!

--0-1575046167-1045943984=:63969

TMB and I re did the timing 12 times today to no avail. It was only after the 12th time did i notice that the rubber boot onto the intake pipe/ on top of the metering head was being sucked inwards at high revs.
We checked the cold air intake tube and found the tube deforming and closing under suction from the engine!!  Took that out - that cured it!! Superb.
Timing is almost on. Skimmed head looks to have taken about half a tooth of adjustment more. Vernier time methinks. Revs sweetly all the way.
Turns out timing marks are all in the right place!

Did the mount, sorted the exhaust and throttle body clearance issues. Even got the front brace on!

Ran her up through the warming cycle twice. all is well. Get 30 miles down the road, one minute fine, next minute overheating. Overheats after 5 mins or so at 90mph!!
Gets so hot that water and oil seeping from between block and head - bugger - nother headgasket methinks. Limp last 20 miles home overheating twice more!
Oil and water all over the place. I just cleaned that!!!
Umm - blocked rad? , failed pump? running way lean? God knows - given up today. My knight in shining - TMB will come to the rescue!

Any ideas gents?

Andy

 T Berk <tberk@mindspring.com> wrote:Andy Holmes wrote:

> i'm also leaning towards timing. it might be set up wrong but i cant
> work out why!

Even just a little off might not look right but might cause lots od
trouble.

Flywheel might be on wrong, sounds crazy as intuitively it can only go
on one way but it has been done before. Timing marks on flywheel might
not be the right ones, there are more than one mark as seen through
the inspection hole. Got a timing light?

> I'm going to test the pressure and flow on the fuel lines for sure
>

> i do have a collapsing driver sdie mount (RHD) and the engine is
> canted down that side and forward about an inch

Gotta change them mounts man, doing just one will put too much stress
on the others.

> Compression test was with tester in spark plug hole and turning
> over. Massive 15 bar compared to 12 normally. Dont know if that wet
> or dry.

By itself that describes the Dry test, putting a bit of oil down the
plug hole makes for a Wet, sealed rings test with to be expected
higher readings. I forget which describes which for rings vs valve
trouble though.

> And i dont know what a leakdown test is to be honest.
>
> Andy

Leak down is where you put a gauge on a system, pump up the pressure
and let it sit a few hours or even overnight to see if or how fast it
leaks out. Good thing to do to coolant systems, they need 15 psi
(bar? Don't know) to help raise the boiling point of the
water/coolant.

hth,
TBerk

---------------------------------

--0-1575046167-1045943984=:63969

<P>TMB and I re did the timing 12 times today to no avail. It was only after the 12th time did i notice that the rubber boot onto the intake pipe/ on top of the metering head was being sucked inwards at high revs.
<P>We checked the cold air intake tube and found the tube deforming and closing under suction from the engine!!&nbsp; Took that out - that cured it!! Superb.
<P>Timing is almost on. Skimmed head looks to have taken about half a tooth of adjustment more. Vernier time methinks. Revs sweetly all the way.
<P>Turns out timing marks are all in the right place!
<P>&nbsp;
<P>Did the mount, sorted the exhaust and throttle body clearance issues. Even got the front brace on!
<P>&nbsp;
<P>Ran her up through the warming cycle twice. all is well. Get 30 miles down the road, one minute fine, next minute overheating. Overheats after 5 mins or so at 90mph!!
<P>Gets so hot that water and oil seeping from between block and head - bugger - nother headgasket methinks. Limp last 20 miles home overheating twice more!
<P>Oil and water all over the place. I just cleaned that!!!
<P>Umm - blocked rad? , failed pump? running way lean? God knows - given up today. My knight in shining - TMB will come to the rescue!
<P>&nbsp;
<P>Any ideas gents?
<P>&nbsp;
<P>Andy