MkI conversion to PS - problem found, link to pics

http://scirocco.dhs.org/cheapassron/misc/bent_firewall/

OK, with much thanks to those who replied, esp. Dan Bubb for the photos, above is what I found.

The car must have been in some sort of wreck at some time, or somebody jumped a tree stump or
something.  That'd explain the bent pass motor mount ears, and the damaged firewall.

After I pulled the rack, I found the rack and bushings looked OK.  Then I saw that the lower
u-joint had been rubbing on the horizontal seam in the firewall.  Darn.  Sooo...looking for
obvious wreck damage, I happened to catch the light just right in the paint and saw the kink in
the firewall (between the mounts in the see_the_kink photo).  To give you an idea of how far out
the rack is, see the drivers_side and pass_side photos (looking in from the wheelwell) and the
straightedge photos, where I laid a piece of stock across the mounting surfaces and you can see
how far out of whack it is.

Sorry for the poor photos, all I have is the still photo feature on our Sony DigiCam.

Question is, what to do now???  Beat it out from the inside???

Sh!t!