MkI conversion to PS - problem found, link to pics

On Tue, 2003-08-26 at 20:18, Ron Pieper wrote:
> http://scirocco.dhs.org/cheapassron/misc/bent_firewall/

As a friend recently told me, "That creates excessive vacuum!"

Wow...don't know what else to say. In the context of your trip to
California to get the car, those pictures just about bring tears to my
eyes.

I have to concur, however, that the only "right" way to fix this would
be to bring it to a frame shop. You can't beat it from the inside
because that is a hollow area, that you can't really get to from inside
the car. You could use a slide hammer and pull it out yourself, but how
do you know it will be in spec?

This is an autocross car, no? It's kinda hard to tune the
suspension/steering when it is out of whack and binding. You'll end up
with bump steer problems, at least. If the control arm mounts are also
not in the right place, you could have all sorts of problems.

You're on the VW-Autox list, so you maybe know about my corner balancing
story. Now that I know how horrible having one dimension out of spec can
be, I would be hesitant to fix that any other way than a frame shop.
Luckily, my problem was the inexperienced guy on the other end of the
wrench. I'm sorry to hear you're not so lucky. :(

Neal