MkI conversion to PS - problem found, link to pics

Dude - that blows. Don't know what to tell you - using a slide hammer is about the only thing I can suggest, but Neal's concern about keeping it in spec is right.

OTOH, if you end up taking it to get it straightened, you'll hopefully at least be sure it that it's straight after that...

Doubt that helped, but good luck, buddy.

Jeff

Ron Pieper <rapieper@yahoo.com> wrote:
http://scirocco.dhs.org/cheapassron/misc/bent_firewall/

OK, with much thanks to those who replied, esp. Dan Bubb for the photos, above is what I found.

The car must have been in some sort of wreck at some time, or somebody jumped a tree stump or
something. That'd explain the bent pass motor mount ears, and the damaged firewall.

After I pulled the rack, I found the rack and bushings looked OK. Then I saw that the lower
u-joint had been rubbing on the horizontal seam in the firewall. Darn. Sooo...looking for
obvious wreck damage, I happened to catch the light just right in the paint and saw the kink in
the firewall (between the mounts in the see_the_kink photo). To give you an idea of how far out
the rack is, see the drivers_side and pass_side photos (looking in from the wheelwell) and the
straightedge photos, where I laid a piece of stock across the mounting surfaces and you can see
how far out of whack it is.

Sorry for the poor photos, all I have is the still photo feature on our Sony DigiCam.

Question is, what to do now??? Beat it out from the inside???

Sh!t!