New HU = Dead Battery

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, John Erickson wrote:

> Thanks, Drew!
>
> I think I'd rather grab that wire on the back of the fuse
> block, but I'll stick my head under there and see what the
> easiest chice is.

I've always found it easiest to catch it when it comes out of the ignition
switch - it's close to the stereo and easily accessable - can be done with
the lower dash cover off or just the lower steering column cover.  Finding
it at the back of the fuse panel may be a little trickier... :)

> Will this lead have power on it when the car has turned
> off, but the key is still in the ignition?  That was a
> feature I liked in my 2000 Jetta.  The radio would stay on
> until I pulled the key out of the ignition.

Yes, the lead is hot when there is a key IN the ignition.  Doesn't even
have to be the key that starts the car - so long as it slides into the
lock.  The newer VW's are even better - as they work with a key in the
ignition, but go off when you take it out.  You can then override this by
turning the radio back on with the power button - very nice.

Drew

Drew MacPherson - '84 Wolfsburg Edition Scirocco TurboDiesel