New HU = Dead Battery

Thanks, Drew!

I think I'd rather grab that wire on the back of the fuse
block, but I'll stick my head under there and see what the
easiest chice is.

Will this lead have power on it when the car has turned
off, but the key is still in the ignition?  That was a
feature I liked in my 2000 Jetta.  The radio would stay on
until I pulled the key out of the ignition.

John

drew <drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca>

|You can use the hot lead for the seatbelt warning buzzer
|out of the
|ignition circuit to provide a low-power(!) acc. switch
|for your head unit.
|Any recent unit I've worked with has a low power (.5 amp)
|switched power
|lead and a high power battery lead.
|
|You want to splice into the seatbelt warning circuit at
|the ignition
|switch - damed if I can remember the colour of the wire,
|but I want to say
|black with a red stripe for German built VW's - it's a
|light guage wire -
|perhaps someone with a wiring diagram can post the
|colour.
|
|Any VW with a seatbelt warning circuit will have this
|wire - up until late
|A2's and early A3's when VW actually was kind enough to
|provide a switched
|lead in the stereo wiring harness.  It will be hot when
|the key is
|inserted in the ignition (but not necessarily on.)
| Again, it is for LOW
|CURRENT applications only - drawn too much juice and you
|run the risk of
|melting down your ignition switch.
|
|Drew
|

|On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, John Erickson wrote:
|
|> I appear to have committed a fatal error with the
|> installation of my new head unit.  I tied the “Battery”
|> and “Accessory” leads on the HU together and hooked
them