New HU = Dead Battery

You can use the hot lead for the seatbelt warning buzzer out of the
ignition circuit to provide a low-power(!) acc. switch for your head unit.
Any recent unit I've worked with has a low power (.5 amp) switched power
lead and a high power battery lead.=20

You want to splice into the seatbelt warning circuit at the ignition
switch - damed if I can remember the colour of the wire, but I want to say
black with a red stripe for German built VW's - it's a light guage wire -
perhaps someone with a wiring diagram can post the colour.

Any VW with a seatbelt warning circuit will have this wire - up until late
A2's and early A3's when VW actually was kind enough to provide a switched
lead in the stereo wiring harness.  It will be hot when the key is
inserted in the ignition (but not necessarily on.)  Again, it is for LOW
CURRENT applications only - drawn too much juice and you run the risk of
melting down your ignition switch.=20

Drew