Insurance Adjuster again

At 10:36 AM 10/3/2002, Ken Weidmann wrote:
>Well,
>   The adjuster called and left me a voice mail saying that he went over
> it with the lady in the office and they got it to the "total threshhold"
> of $1715 now.  What a difference a day makes???  He said if I want more,
> they will total the car and if I want, I can call him, and then he'll
> explain to me the process for doing that.
>    I'm going to take the roc to the alignment shop today and get the
> front end aligned and make sure that nothing else is wacky up front.  I
> also told him I need more time, since I only had the one estimate, I
> don't know if they were high, low, right on, so I can't accept what he is
> offering right now.
>       From all of my other car buddies, they have come to the conclusion
> that since the other driver is at fault, and this guy increased his offer
> by almost doubling it in a day, that he has more $$ to play with.  I will
> probably stick to my guns and see if I can get at least $2k out of him or
> more depending on what my other body shop estimates say. (and the
> alignment shop too)

Ken,
         I have two pieces of advice having gone through this entirely too
many times before:

1.  (Preface:  I haven't been reading the list lately.  I don't know what
happened to your car, nor do I know the condition of your car...)  Stay
realistic.  As long as your demands to the insurance company are realistic,
you won't have problems.  Asking for $8000 in damages for a shitbox '84
with rust holes will accomplish nothing other than making the adjuster
think you're nuts.  This wasn't directed at you Ken -- without knowing
what's up with your car -- whatever it is, $2K is reasonable. :)

2.  And the more important advice:  We are talking about peanut amounts of
money here.  A $2000 claim is tiny to an insurance company, and a $300
difference between what you want and what they offered is literally
negligible.  Remind the adjuster of that -- this is peanuts to their
company; what would have happened if you were in a 2002 Mercedes S600 and
it got totalled?  Suddenly, when threatened with $132,000 in replacement
costs, $300 doesn't seem like much.  Additionally, you were lucky enough
not to have gotten hurt (I hope).  Medical bills are astronomial - I ran up
$100,000 in bills after a bad accident in college.  $300 wouldn't cover 1/3
of an MRI -- so remind him that you didn't nail them with all kinds of
medical bills...

Good luck and I hope this helps in some way.  Remember, a few hundred bucks
either way will make NO difference to them, but it'll make a huge
difference to you... and point that out! :)

Jason