Insane speed in german cars... slightly OT, had to share...

--=====================_9138700==_.ALT

At 10:00 PM 11/5/2002, L F wrote:
>Dave-
>   I believe Allyn wrote it and it sounds plausible to me.

Actually, it was me... and it absolutely is plausible. :)

>>Sounds like there's a big flaw in this theory!  Who wrote this anyway?  I
>>didn't see a signature.  Seems odd that my 2.0l 16v Rabbit hit 140mph
>>without too much trouble, but then again, I use to blow VR6s away all the
>>time.

You blew away VR6s because of the Rabbit's light weight, not because of its
aerodynamic prowess.
The fabulous Ms. Bastard has a massaged 2.0 16V Rabbit that blows away VR6s
as well -- (and keeps up dead even with my lightweight 4-door Mk3 Golf GL
VR6, which also blows away VR6s all the time) -- so I can attest to the
speed of 2.0 16V rabbits.

There is no flaw in the theory.  The dyno numbers, gearing, and Cd were
plugged into a mathematical equation.  Top speed results where wind
resistance (easy to calculate) meets or exceeds engine output to the ground
(easy as pie to know when you have a dyno run).

Regardless, the Corrado SLC, with a Cd of 0.32, had a tested top speed of
137mph.  It is physically impossible, therefore, that a 0.42Cd Rabbit would
reach 140mph with the same engine.  Again, 178hp in a Rabbit wouldn't get
you to 137mph.

According to my calculations, a VR6 Corrado (A=1.84m^2, Cd=0.32) tops out
at 139mph.  With the same gearing and dyno results, a Rabbit (A=1.80.
Cd=0.42) would only reach 128mph.

>>   Did you know that the Rabbit is more aerodynamic than the 280Z?
>>Check it for yourself!

I wasn't able to find the Cd for the original 280Z.  The Cd for the A1 cars
(Scirocco and GTI) is 0.42. When they debuted, that was quite good
actually.  (I incorrectly stated the Cd of the Rabbit as 0.44 yesterday).

Jason

>>Dave

>>get
>>torque
>>at

--=====================_9138700==_.ALT

At 10:00 PM 11/5/2002, L F wrote:<br>
Actually, it was me... and it absolutely is plausible. :)<br><br>
like there's a big flaw in this theory!&nbsp; Who wrote this
anyway?&nbsp; I<br>
didn't see a signature.&nbsp; Seems odd that my 2.0l 16v Rabbit hit
140mph<br>
without too much trouble, but then again, I use to blow VR6s away all
the<br>
You blew away VR6s because of the Rabbit's light weight, not because of
its aerodynamic prowess.<br>
The fabulous Ms. Bastard has a massaged 2.0 16V Rabbit that blows away
VR6s as well -- (and keeps up dead even with my lightweight 4-door Mk3
Golf GL VR6, which also blows away VR6s all the time) -- so I can attest
to the speed of 2.0 16V rabbits.<br><br>
There is no flaw in the theory.&nbsp; The dyno numbers, gearing, and Cd
were plugged into a mathematical equation.&nbsp; Top speed results where
wind resistance (easy to calculate) meets or exceeds engine output to the
ground (easy as pie to know when you have a dyno run).<br><br>
Regardless, the Corrado SLC, with a Cd of 0.32, had a tested top speed of
137mph.&nbsp; It is physically impossible, therefore, that a 0.42Cd
Rabbit would reach 140mph with the same engine.&nbsp; Again, 178hp in a
Rabbit wouldn't get you to 137mph.&nbsp; <br><br>
According to my calculations, a VR6 Corrado (A=1.84m^2, Cd=0.32) tops out
at 139mph.&nbsp; With the same gearing and dyno results, a Rabbit
(A=1.80. Cd=0.42) would only reach 128mph.<br><br>
Did you know that the Rabbit is more aerodynamic than the 280Z?<br>
I wasn't able to find the Cd for the original 280Z.&nbsp; The Cd for the
A1 cars (Scirocco and GTI) is 0.42. When they debuted, that was quite
good actually.&nbsp; (I incorrectly stated the Cd of the Rabbit as 0.44
yesterday).<br><br>
Jason<br><br>
&gt; &gt; Plug in that Cd (0.44) and the top speed of a VR6 Rabbit
calculates as<br>
&gt; &gt; 129mph.&nbsp; With a 172hp, all-top-end VR6!&nbsp; You'd need a
turbo VR6 just to<br>
get<br>
&gt; &gt; close to 140mph in a Rabbit! In fact, if you bump up a VR6's
entire<br>
torque<br>
&gt; &gt; curve by 25% simulating a large turbo running low-boost to put
out 215hp<br>
at<br>
&gt; &gt; the motor, you'd see 141mph as a top speed.<br><br>