Insane speed in german cars... slightly OT, had to share...

> Plug in that Cd (0.44) and the top speed of a VR6 Rabbit calculates as
> 129mph.  With a 172hp, all-top-end VR6!  You'd need a turbo VR6 just to get
> close to 140mph in a Rabbit! In fact, if you bump up a VR6's entire torque
> curve by 25% simulating a large turbo running low-boost to put out 215hp at
> the motor, you'd see 141mph as a top speed.

one of these days i need to reverse calculate the cd of the rieger. i do know
that it has hit 143, but the speedo is a little fast. not to mention that i can
only guess at the hp numbers.

> I'd say you'd need a *lot* of tweaking to get just about any car on the
> road to 180-190mph.  (FWIW I consider an aftermarket turbo kit to be a
> "lot" of tweaking! -- Especially on something like a Ferrari.)

yup, theoretical top end on the twin (even with assuming a cd of .38), is still
redline limited up to 8k (with fn trannies even). this assumes 180 ft-lbs and
260 hp (@ 8k) out of each engine.
...will it actually be able to go that fast? doubtful. will i try and make it go
that fast? hrmmm...
anyone know of anywhere (close to SC) where i could find out?

> Weight:  Explained above.  It slows acceleration, but has very little
> effect on top speed.

absolutely. the sub took several minutes to reach 'top end', yet had about the
same hp capacity as a thousand (yes, thousand) josh-1.8t engines :). also, 'top
end' only is changed due to bacteria growth on the hull (effectively lowering
the cd).

Al