Car won't start, stupid friggin thing

Okay, I go out to talk to some ladie's church group on a Friday night, (y=
eah,
I'm serious), the high point being I get to drive the headache there and =
back.
So I try to start it, no luck. Here's some background, so you don't tell =
me
it's something that has already been replaced...
starter/atlernator/battery/grounds/plugs all new (hey, you can do "how mu=
ch do
you have in your car" tally while you read this, LOL)
 So I don't think there is a problem with the "turn it over" parts, it se=
emed
to crank fast enough (until I wore the battery down trying)

It had been stubborn starting for a while, it seemed to fire and run well=

after repeated cycles of the fuel pump, as if the lines had drained back
(check valve?) Which I told the dealer, but the message never got to the
mechanic for whatever reason. They did put in a new ingition switch, whic=
h it
did need. The car has a security system (Clifford ignition disable), not =
sure
if they needed to do anything special on the switch install to accomodate=

this.

It has been towed in twice for a ruptured fuel line, it is now repaired
properly (gratis on the second repair), but I thought maybe this was the
reason it wasn't starting right up prior to the line failing outright. It=
 did
make an impressive fountian, and the pump buzzes normally at start up (we=
ll,
theoretical startup in this case) so I think it is (they are) working, an=
d the
car runs well once it starts.

Other complicating factors? The tranny has been in and out, if there are =
any
wires/sensors in this area that could be the culprits.

Now on to what it does. It turns but will not fire, as if it is not getti=
ng
fuel. The plugs do spark, when I phoned the mechanic he suggested maybe i=
wasn't firing in the "start" positon , but it appears to be firing. How b=
right
should the spark be, it is visible, but nothing like the ones I make in m=
science class...
I could smell gas when the plug came out though.

I guess the guys made a feeble attempt to push start it with no luck last=

night, and it wouldn't start.

I can't do anything very difficult, (I really don't know much about cars)=
but
if there is something simple I've overlooked (other than pushing the car =
over
a cliff) let me know. It's not going anywherre, and neither am I (I have =
the
intesinal flu, to add to my pleasure) Serves me right for buying fun car =
parts
during Lent.
Cathy, a very happy TDI owner.
 =