Car won't start, stupid friggin thing

<clip>
> It had been stubborn starting for a while, it seemed to fire and run well
> after repeated cycles of the fuel pump, as if the lines had drained back
> (check valve?) Which I told the dealer, but the message never got to the
> mechanic for whatever reason. They did put in a new ingition switch, which it
> did need. The car has a security system (Clifford ignition disable), not sure
> if they needed to do anything special on the switch install to accomodate
> this.

A new ignition switch would not affect the wiring for the alarm system.

> Other complicating factors? The tranny has been in and out, if there are any
> wires/sensors in this area that could be the culprits.

Nope, nothing that would prevent starting the car.

> Now on to what it does. It turns but will not fire, as if it is not getting
> fuel. The plugs do spark, when I phoned the mechanic he suggested maybe it
> wasn't firing in the "start" positon , but it appears to be firing. How
> bright
> should the spark be, it is visible, but nothing like the ones I make in my
> science class...
> I could smell gas when the plug came out though.

When you pulled the plugs, was this after trying repeatedly to start the
car?  If so, were the plugs wet (soaked in fuel) or were they dry looking?
As for the spark, it should be noticeable in dim lighting, but won't be
a bright spark really.

So you checked and verified that each plug sparks during cranking?

If so, then you must have some sort of fuel problem...

One idea that isn't too difficult to do is to test the fuel injectors
by raising the air flow plate in the fuel distributor...
Remove the air boot from the fuel distibutor end, while leaving in
place all other connections...this will simply allow you to reach down
and lift up the air flow plate about an inch.  One you figure out how
to lift the plate, use a rag or something to carefully wedge in there
to keep the plate from falling back down... now have someone turn the
key to the ON position (not actually start).  You will hear the injectors
spray for about a second or two... now turn off the ignition and replace
that air boot over the distributor and try to start the car... the
car *should* fire up quite easily, but if there is a fuel system problem
it may not continue to run.  If you still don't get any sign of life from
the engine, well, then something else is definitely wrong...

Cathy, you can do it!  I wish you luck too, and hope to hear your next
post being a positive one!   ;)

So, anyone else have another suggestion... and anyone ever tried this
idea before lifting the air flow plate?  It's worked for me at least...

=====
Benjamin Harder
86 Scirocco 16v
80 Scirocco 16v