Sometimes ... I hate ... My car ... And mechanics

--- '84 Scirocco <scirocco@macslut.org> wrote:

> So my front end is acting up again.  After great help
> from steve in st.
> louis doing my control arms, then getting a nice
> alignment, everything was
> fine (for awhile).  Now the front end is swaying around
> again, I cant even
> highway drive without expecting death :-)

Have the ball joints / tie-rods been checked or replaced?

> The strut bearings are shot to hell already.  So like I
> need to redo the
> front again - what can I use thatıs OEM and good quality
> and not too
> expensive?

Brian's suggestion of getting new Dasher strut bearings
would be good if they were still available, but to my
knowledge they're not.

So instead, get yourself some standard strut bearings made
by FEBI.  (Potterman carries them.)

  I would think about doing something more
> performance based,if it
> would be better quality and last longer, but my car isnt
> really
> show/performance based, its pretty much just my daily
> driver.  *sigh*

However, a good suspension will totally change the
charachter of the car - MUCH more fun to drive.  I'm
running Boge turbos / unknown springs on the '85 which
rides rough, and Bilstein HDs w/ Nuespeed sports on the 16v
which rides great and handles awesome.  Yes, it's expensive
but you won't be disappointed.

> Sometimes I just wanna dump her and get an older cabby

No you don't.  All the same problems plus the expense of a
cloth top when it goes bad.  :)  And don't let your 'rocco
hear you talking that way!  They're spiteful!

=====
Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'80 S, 81 S, '82, '85, & '88 Sciroccos
'82 Pickup
'90 Passat Wagon
"Never joke, taunt or dangle what might be seen as a challenge in front of the powers that be.  The universe is listening." - Lane Wallace