The 2.0 Lives! (well, sort of....damn. Need a little help) - long

Congrats, that's a great feeling when a fresh engine fires up and
doesn't vomit oil all over your shoes!  (or, rather, that's a baaad
feeling when it does...I guess :).

Sounds like maybe the classic "burp the block" solution is in order
here, maybe?  That'll do what you describe...

G/L,

Ron

--- Jeff Toomasson <jtoomasson@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I kinda need to keep this short, because I need tech help and I'm
> short on sleep, time and feeling in my hands!
>
> Before I get into the specifics - I first have to thank Raffi, Craig
> and most of all Tobias for sacrificing their time and energy to get
> my heap back to road-worthiness (especially Tobias who, in spite of
> his other committment (I hope Al will forgive me) kept plugging into
> the wee hours of this morning even when I was ready to throw in the
> towel. I know the beer and grub I provided them doesn't even scratch
> the surface of my gratitude. I hope I can be there for these guys if
> the opportunity arises. This list and the people on it rule!
>
> After tinkering with the timing and distributor for a while (and
> connecting a hidden air hose!), we finally got it started around 1:30
> am and once it got running for a few minutes it was remarkably smooth
> running. Each time trying to start it, it got easier - so much so
> that it would start on the first crank which never happened with the
> 1.8!
>
> But then we noticed that the coolant temp was getting exceedingly
> high (which is weird because I installed a low temp fan switch and
> thermostat). I must have been too tired because we just filled the
> radiator and let it run thinking the fan would come on sometime,
> right? Unfortunately, I ruptured a hose (I hope) somewhere near the
> distributor.
>
> Can the fan switch plug go on reverse of the way it's supposed too?
> It's gotta be either that or the thermo-time switch failing, right?
> Anyone else have any ideas? I'm in a bad spot and need to get this
> car back on the road ASAP - time for trouble-shooting this is
> scarce....
>
> Thanks,
>
> JT - sorta 2.0 '86.5 16v

=====
Cheapass Ron
"Victor" '87 16V Scirocco
"Teufelhasen" '93 Cabby <-For sale

If it ain't foggy, TURN OFF YOUR FOG LIGHTS.