The 2.0 Lives! (well, sort of....damn. Need a littlehelp) - long

--=====================_-85274875==_.ALT

Cool! Glad you guys finished!

The fan switch plug is keyed so it can only fit one way... is the fan
coming on low speed at all? Does it go to high speed? If the fan does not
come on try turning on your Defog, fan position 3 and slider all the way to
the right, there is a relay that switches the fan on when you are using the
compressor and the Defog setting will work even if the temp is cold. Does
the fan spin now? No to all of the above means check fuses and wiring
around this relay. The A/C fan thing should work no matter what the fan
switch is doing. The Thermo-Time Switch does not aid in cooling the motor
but in starting when cold so this can't be the problem.

I've had a problem similar to this when I flushed out my radiator. Check
the thermostat. I think we put in a new one in and it may seem like a reach
but I might suggest installing the old one again. Also there may be a lot
of air in the system which is keeping the cooling from working 100%.

-Congrats!
-Raffi

At 09:05 AM 3/25/02 -0800, you wrote:
>I kinda need to keep this short, because I need tech help and I'm short on
>sleep, time and feeling in my hands!
>
>Before I get into the specifics - I first have to thank Raffi, Craig and
>most of all Tobias for sacrificing their time and energy to get my heap
>back to road-worthiness (especially Tobias who, in spite of his other
>committment (I hope Al will forgive me) kept plugging into the wee hours
>of this morning even when I was ready to throw in the towel. I know the
>beer and grub I provided them doesn't even scratch the surface of my
>gratitude. I hope I can be there for these guys if the opportunity arises.
>This list and the people on it rule!
>
>After tinkering with the timing and distributor for a while (and
>connecting a hidden air hose!), we finally got it started around 1:30 am
>and once it got running for a few minutes it was remarkably smooth
>running. Each time trying to start it, it got easier - so much so that it
>would start on the first crank which never happened with the 1.8!
>
>But then we noticed that the coolant temp was getting exceedingly high
>(which is weird because I installed a low temp fan switch and thermostat).
>I must have been too tired because we just filled the radiator and let it
>run thinking the fan would come on sometime, right? Unfortunately, I
>ruptured a hose (I hope) somewhere near the distributor.
>
>Can the fan switch plug go on reverse of the way it's supposed too? It's
>gotta be either that or the thermo-time switch failing, right? Anyone else
>have any ideas? I'm in a bad spot and need to get this car back on the
>road ASAP - time for trouble-shooting this is scarce....
>
>Thanks,
>
>JT - sorta 2.0 '86.5 16v

--=====================_-85274875==_.ALT

Cool! Glad you guys finished! <br><br>
[...]
100%. <br><br>
-Congrats! <br>
-Raffi<br><br>
At 09:05 AM 3/25/02 -0800, you wrote:<br>
need to keep this short, because I need tech help and I'm short on sleep,
time and feeling in my hands!</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
to thank Raffi, Craig and most of all Tobias for sacrificing their time
and energy to get my heap back to road-worthiness (especially Tobias who,
in spite of his other committment (I hope Al will forgive me) kept
plugging into the wee hours of this morning even when I was ready to
throw in the towel. I know the beer and grub I provided them doesn't even
scratch the surface of my gratitude. I hope I can be there for these guys
if the opportunity arises. This list and the people on it
rule!</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
for a while (and connecting a hidden air hose!), we finally got it
started</font> <font face="arial" size=2>around 1:30 am and once it got
running for a few minutes it was remarkably smooth running. Each time
trying to start it, it got easier - so much so that it would start on the
first crank which never happened with the 1.8!</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
getting exceedingly high (which is weird because I installed a low temp
fan switch and thermostat). I must have been too tired because we just
filled the radiator and let it run thinking the fan would come on
sometime, right? Unfortunately, I ruptured a hose (I hope) somewhere near
the distributor.</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
way it's supposed too? It's gotta be either that or the thermo-time
switch failing, right? Anyone else have any ideas? I'm in a bad spot and
need to get this car back on the road ASAP - time for trouble-shooting
this is scarce....</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;<br>