suspension difficulties semi rant

Yeah, I know how it is.  I changed my shocks and
springs on all 4 wheels last weekend.  I was not able
to loosen the nuts on my car with a 1/2" drive
ratchet.  Luckily (sorry to make you envious) I had to
grab my CP air impact wrench and give it a good bit of
persuasion.  Yes, my bolts were still in place, but I
just had to get a drive (a centre punch or old
screwdriver will do) and hammer the sh#$ on the bolt
and it fell out on both sides.  Here in Canada with
all the salt on the roads, anything made out of steel
rusts into place very quickly.  In your case, I'd make
sure that the head is completely broken free so that
the bolt can pass through the holes and then whack the
hell out of it with a GBFT (great big fucking tool.)
If that doesn't work, I'd do what other people have
suggested and grind the bolt or the shock with a
cutting wheel mounted to an angle grinder.  So, the
rear shocks and springs went very smoothly.  I had
problems with the front struts.  I couldn't undo the
cap that holds the strut cartridge into the strut
housing.  It was a bitch to undo because my vice is
only bolted into the 3/4 inch plywood of my workbench
, so I was pulling the vice out of the bench as I
twisted the cap.  I had to take them to a mechanic
friend and get him to undo them at his shop.
Oh, yeah, I did have a problem with my rear
suspension.  After removing the rear left tire , I
discovered that the left control arm was rubbing
against my TT dynomax muffler.  There is almost a hole
in it and I installed it less than 6 months ago.  I've
re-welded it today, hopefully it stays in place!

Chris J.
'83 Scirocco GT (a Canadian model only, I think)
'81 Kawasaki KZ 550