suspension difficulties semi rant

---------- Original Message -------------------------
---------
From: "brett cooke" <vwscir88@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 03:50:27 -0500

>alright, i got my new skocks and struts and went to
put them on tonight.
>just cruising along, when i hit the rear pass side
shock. the god-damned
>bottom bolt is frozen. so i break out buster(
that's the name of my BIG
>hammer), give it a few whacks and the nut breaks
loose. cool, but the bolt
>is still frozen! sprayed it with pb blaster, ate
dinner and came back. still
>frozen. break out the torch heat it up. nothing,
fuc*in thing still won't
>move! super heat it, so much so that it's glowing
red and the rubber bushing
>on the bottom of the shock it burning. still
nothing. so i rig myself into
>position under the car and pull for all i'm worth
and snap! the head comes
>of the bolt. excellent, now i can just pound the
lil' mf'er out with a
>hammer. nope. still stuck. i'm so pissed of at this
point i'm actually think
>of changing the whole rear trailing arm. any
suggestions?
>  hit

I cut the bottom shock mount off, by making 2 cuts
along the bottom of the shock mount, making sure you
don't cut the mount (that's part of the trailing
arm) and then lift the rear shock off the bushing.

And then torch the bushing off...

And then cut the sleeve and bolt shaft...
usually I have to make 2 cuts, and you can turn the
shaft to make it easier to cut.

And then install the new rear shock/strut.

And then, there is no more and then!!!

Peter - Bear Delaware 19701
'79 Scirocco 16V, '83 & '84 GTI
'79, '81, '84, '84=BD, '88 Sciroccos