what would it take to fit 225/50/14?

It depends what suspension you're running.  When I ran 225/50/14 V700
Victoracers with 14 x 7" TSW wheels on my 88 with H&R Sport Springs and
Boge TurboGas, everything fit fine without modification, except of
course you will have to run 1/4" spacers in the rear to clear the
springs.  When I bought my 87 16V with HoR springs, the 225/50/14s would
not fit in the front because the car was too low.

Which E30 wheels do you plan to use?  Bottlecaps or basketweaves?  The
bottlecaps are 14 x 6" with 35 mm offset and the basketweaves (made by
BBS) are 14 x 6.5" with a 30 mm offset.  The 30mm offset would be great
for the rear, but might cause rubbing problems up front on the Scirocco.

Mike