what would it take to fit 225/50/14?

On Sat, 2 Mar 2002, Mike VanAmburgh wrote:

> It depends what suspension you're running.  When I ran 225/50/14 V700
> Victoracers with 14 x 7" TSW wheels on my 88 with H&R Sport Springs and
> Boge TurboGas, everything fit fine without modification, except of
> course you will have to run 1/4" spacers in the rear to clear the
> springs.  When I bought my 87 16V with HoR springs, the 225/50/14s would
> not fit in the front because the car was too low.

I will be running coilovers with 7" 300# springs front and 8" 200# rear. I
plan to dial in exactly a 1 inch drop... no more no less :)

> Which E30 wheels do you plan to use?  Bottlecaps or basketweaves?  The
> bottlecaps are 14 x 6" with 35 mm offset and the basketweaves (made by
> BBS) are 14 x 6.5" with a 30 mm offset.  The 30mm offset would be great
> for the rear, but might cause rubbing problems up front on the Scirocco.

Probably bottlecaps, but now that you tell me they are 35mm, that might
not be much benifit over the 38mm offset GTI rims i already have.

I've been looking for a basketweave set, but no luck yet.. at least not at
a price substantially cheaper than a new set of those 14x7 borbets i
mentioned :( I guess if i roll the fenders & remove the liners i've got a
shot at making this work, kewl!

take care,

Steve

             Fashion Twins, activate! form of: a lemming.
                      http://westfailure.org