a few JH rebuilding Q's-

Rob Cotner wrote:
>=20
> I finally have my '84 JH completely dissasembled.  My Q's are:
>=20
> -as my Bentley states, are the rod bolts really not reusable?  would
> the dealer have them?

The rod bolts are stretch bolts (as are the head bolts) and reinstalling
them will stretch them further weakening them. And this is the most
critical application in an engine.
>=20
> -how necessary is it to have the crankshaft polished?

Depends on it's current condition.
>=20
> -what was the original paint color for the block?  just wondering...

Black. It's not flat, maybe semi-gloss. Is this a concours restoration?
>=20
> -in the bentley it shows the pistons as having a relatively flat
> crown/top.  the ones in my JH are unlike any other piston i've seen(in
> my rather limited experience).  They have deep bowls in them, I could
> almost eat cereal out of them.  Is this normal?

The Bentley, in this instance, is showing a 1.1 or 1.3 L engine that was
available in Europe. Yep, the pistons have a dish in them. This is kinda
normal for small bore, long stroke engines to get enough combustion
chamber volume for a reasonable CR. BTW, substituting 85 or later Golf
GTI pistons will bump your CR to 10:1 for a little more power.
>=20
> -my alternater says 90A on the sticker.  this means its a 90 amp
> alternator right, and was it available on the '84 Scirocco or did
> somebody upgrade along the way?  just double checking because
> everything else on this car has been low-grade replacement crap.

My 84 Wolfsburg came with a 90 amp alternator.
>=20
> -would it harm the alternator if I sprayed alot of contact cleaner
> into the brushes/coil-wire thing/whatever and spun it around?  would
> this even help at all?

What TBerk said.