a few JH rebuilding Q's-

Rob Cotner wrote:

> I finally have my '84 JH completely dissasembled.  My Q's are:
>
> -as my Bentley states, are the rod bolts really not reusable?  would
> the dealer have them?

Yes, but they are not the only ones.  Mike and/or Mark can get you them;

<http://www.parts4vws.com>
<http://www.germanautoparts.com>

> -how necessary is it to have the crankshaft polished?

On the bearing surfaces? This one I cant speak to, I havent unbolted the
head from the block yet myself.

> -what was the original paint color for the block?  just wondering...

It was a flat black, wasn't it? Might well have not been painted at all,
just patina from it being iron.

> -in the bentley it shows the pistons as having a relatively flat
> crown/top.  the ones in my JH are unlike any other piston i've seen(in
> my rather limited experience).  They have deep bowls in them, I could
> almost eat cereal out of them.  Is this normal?

I _told_ You I Don't KNOW! :]0

> -my alternater says 90A on the sticker.  this means its a 90 amp
> alternator right, and was it available on the '84 Scirocco or did
> somebody upgrade along the way?  just double checking because
> everything else on this car has been low-grade replacement crap.

What car, an 84? I doubt it- might have come used from the junkyard. Do
you have A/C?

> -would it harm the alternator if I sprayed alot of contact cleaner
> into the brushes/coil-wire thing/whatever and spun it around?  would
> this even help at all?

I think you DON'T Want To Do This, there is lubricant in there you don't
want to get compromised.  You CAN pull the brushes and clean the place
they contact. Better by far than hosing it with solvents.

> -are you sick of my questions?
>
> Rob

Nope, Keep em coming.

TBerk