European transmision gearing

4+E box pretty standard fare in the 'non-sporting' models. Most (if not all)
carbed sciroccos had them. My guess is that you would have been doing around
4000rpm at that speed.
As for the 'speed' issue - 100mph+ could lose you your license in the UK for
a few months. 85-90mph is a more comfortable motorway cruising speed - if
you get done, the penalties are much more lenient. On roads with cameras, of
which there seem to be more each day, you have to be more careful: most
don't give you much leeway and 4 tickets and you're banned. Fortunately, in
Scotland, there aren't that many cameras yet.

Ewan Hopkins.
'85 Storm 2.0
'86 GT 1.8
'87 GT 1.6