was "just a click from starter" NOW MUCH WORSE!!!

--0-536489650-1025330453=:49835

this is on my '83 rocco, with a rebuilt '84 8v JH engine- Ok, I charged up the battery a little more, and now that I don't lose power after the "click"  (the only thing I used to get from starter when turning key) I got to see what the rocco does then-  electrical hell seems to break loose!  Not only does it click....click....click.... and keep on clicking without losing power at a rate of about once per second, the tach needle jumps around a bit between 0 and 2000, absolutely sporatically(in no discernible pattern or order).  Also my new door buzzer from a '93 Jetta sounds like a 3-tone ambulance(absolutely hilarious sound on a lighter note btw!!!), and the buzzer speeds up its tones (in a way that sounds like it is NOT supposed to) when the key is put in to the "on" position with the door open.  I also hear some electrical "crackling" but not really zapping coming from around or behind the fuse box.  The fuel pump does come on, the lights in between the speedo and tach come on like they used to(but dim when put in on position, especially when turning key).  The starter was getting funny-sounding when I took it off the other engine, but was still strong enough to start without problems.  Please help!   it will be GREATLY appreciated, even the smallest idea-  how do you look for shorts in a rocco btw?

thanks in advance again,

Rob