was "just a click from starter" NOW MUCH WORSE!!!

--- Robbie Cotner <robw_z@yahoo.com> wrote:

> this is on my '83 rocco, with a rebuilt '84 8v JH engine-
> Ok, I charged up the battery a little more, and now that
> I don't lose power after the "click"  (the only thing I
> used to get from starter when turning key) I got to see
> what the rocco does then-  electrical hell seems to break
> loose!  Not only does it click....click....click.... and
> keep on clicking without losing power at a rate of about
> once per second, the tach needle jumps around a bit
> between 0 and 2000, absolutely sporatically(in no
> discernible pattern or order).  Also my new door buzzer
> from a '93 Jetta sounds like a 3-tone
> ambulance(absolutely hilarious sound on a lighter note
> btw!!!), and the buzzer speeds up its tones (in a way
> that sounds like it is NOT supposed to) when the key is
> put in to the "on" position with the door open.  I also
> hear some electrical "crackling" but not really zapping
> coming from around or behind the fuse box.  The fuel pump
> does come on, the lights in between the speedo and tach
> come on like they used to(but dim when put in on
> position, especially when turning key).  The starter was
> getting funny-sounding when I took it off the other
> engine, but was still strong enough to start without
> problems.  Please help!   it will be GREATLY appreciated,
> even the smallest idea-  how do you look for shorts in a
> rocco btw?

Is the battery *really* charged, or did you just have it on
the charger awhile?  It really sounds to me like it's dead.
 Try one from another car / have this one tested.

=====
Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'80 S, 81 S, '82, '85, & '88 Sciroccos
'82 Pickup
'90 Passat Wagon
"Never joke, taunt or dangle what might be seen as a challenge in front of the powers that be.  The universe is listening." - Lane Wallace