was "just a click from starter" NOW MUCH WORSE!!!

Rob,

I had a very similar thing happening with mine last
week.  It would start just after the charging, but
would deteriorate quickly after that with sporatic
cranking, etc.  I checked existing extra ground wires,
added a couple more to test with.

It ended up being the positive lead to the battery.
The one that I had on there was one that clamps down
on the bare wire on the battery post and had oxidized
a little.  With the added resistance, it caused the
hard starting and the lead to the starter to get
really hot, melt the insulation, etc.

Spent four bucks and got one that was all molded
together and it starts every time.

HTH2, Russ