Newbie Questions (long)

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 11:00:54AM -0500, Dan Bubb wrote:

Not from the 'rocco, but I have a whole bunch of parts from an airplane
engine that grenaded in flight.  It was a Continental IO-470-VO (6 cyl,
flat engine, 470 ci displacement (7.7 L)) in a Cessna 310. (Which luckily,
is a twin engine plane.)  Anyway, had a crankshaft break in flight, which
caused all hell to break loose in the engine.  5 rods broke, punching 3
BIG holes in the crankcase.  The rod that didn't break broke it's cylinder
off the block. The 13 quarts of hot oil then started a fire.  After
landing (quickly, thank you), putting the fire out, and letting the engine
cool of, you could reach your hand into the crankcase through a giant hole
on top, and scoop out handfulls of schrapnel.  I still have a bunch of the
more interesting pieces on my shelf at home.  Very few are recognizable,
but I have a few shattered rod pieces, a magneto attached to a chunk of
crankcase that busted off, and a few pics of the big holes in the engine.