OT - crank failures - was Re: Newbie Questions (long)

--- dan@angband.org wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 11:00:54AM -0500, Dan Bubb wrote:
>
> Not from the 'rocco, but I have a whole bunch of parts
> from an airplane
> engine that grenaded in flight.  It was a Continental
> IO-470-VO (6 cyl,
> flat engine, 470 ci displacement (7.7 L)) in a Cessna
> 310. (Which luckily,
> is a twin engine plane.)  Anyway, had a crankshaft break
> in flight, which
> caused all hell to break loose in the engine.

Certainly gets your attention.  I can think of two aircraft
crankshaft failures, though neither happened to me.  One
was an early 182, made a BIG hole in the case.  (Hmm,
another O-470...) and the other was in my dad's old Stinson
108-3.  On that one, it broke between cylinder 5 & 6,
continued to run but pretty rough.  34 hours on the engine
rebuild at the time.  One week later, his brother (who was
with him) broke the crank in his Corvette while meandering
through town - so dad blames it all on him.  ;p

Hmm, both of these engines were recently out of overhaul...
  and my 150 is over TBO.  (You know what they say, it'll
usually go in the first 100 hours if it's gonna go!)

> > I think every good Christian ought to kick Falwell
> right in the ass.
> > >
> > >                 -- Senator Barry Goldwater,
> commenting on Jerry
> > >                  Falwell's suggestion that all good
> Christians
> > >                  should be against Sandra Day
> O'Connor's nomination
> > >                  to the Supreme Court

Amen Brother!  :)

=====
Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'80, '85, & '88 Sciroccos
'82 Pickup
'90 Passat Wagon
"Never joke, taunt or dangle what might be seen as a challenge in front of the powers that be.  The universe is listening." - Lane Wallace