Help, my gas pedal won't move up

--=======6E501B81=======

At 01:08 PM 2/25/02 -0800, Andrew Wong wrote:

>I went to move my 84 to the driveway today and while
>parking the rpms shot up and I shut off the car, but
>now I can't drive it.  I started it again and it shot
>up again.  The pedal just falls to the ground.  I had
>to push it just to get it back up to park it.  I think
>the spring for the gas pedal broke.  What would I need
>to do fix it.  Is it in the Bently for looking on the
>procedure.  I have the 8-84 book BTW.
>
>=====
>-Andrew Wong
>1984 Black Scirocco(stock)
>1987 White Quantum wagon (Stock with auto)
>aw614.topcities.com/1984.htm
Oddly enough nobody has mentioned this, and I have seen it happen quite
a few times- Check the little bushing that the accelerator cable connects
to at the pedal.  If you have one of the older rubbery foam types the don't
last forever and when the hook from the cable starts cutting into it the pedal
sticks(first time I have it happen to me scared the hell out of me).  The
replacements are rubber so they hold up much longer.

Good luck

John C. Worden
Bucksport, Maine

'98 Dakota 4x4-Just rolled 100K
'86 Scirocco 8V-
'81 Scirocco 2.0 16V -
'78 Scirocco Brazil Brown Metallic,  4 speed.