sending unit - which is which

Ok, on the side of the 16v head, there is two sending units that are the same part #.  One is closer to the front of the car and one is closer to the passenger compartment.  Also there is a green wire w/black stripe, and a yellow wire w/red stripe that goes to them.  My Question is, which wire goes to which unit?  I know the yellow wire is the lead for the temp guage.  Also right now i have the yellow wire on the back unit, but the guage just climbs at a steady pace to the top of the guage.  So i think it may be getting a ground signal?  Does the yellow w/red wire go on the sending unit closest to the front of the car?

TIA
--

Doug C.
'88 16v