Autox for Cincy Sunday event?

Ok, wider is better for cornering because of the greater contact patch and=
=20
therefore more traction given the same tire brand for each size.
I can totally see this being a benefit on an autoX course.
However, will this slow you down on a roadcourse where you have many long=20
straight away sections, overcoming the added weight and increased tire=20
friction.
Hmmm.........ok, if you have two cars accelerate down a 1/2 mile stretch=20
(from a rolling start), one with say 175/70/13's and one with 195/50/15's=20
would one accelerate faster than the other due to the weight/friction thing?
My intuition tells me that the car with the 175's should pull ahead, does=20
this sound logical assuming there were no straightline traction problems.?
I agree that in any corner the wider tire'd car will prevail, but at what=20
size does the wider tire actually slow you down on the straight enough that=
=20
the traction you gain in the corners isn't worth the loss on the straight=20
(Gawd I hope that made sense, LOL)?? This is all assuming a 130hp Scirocco=
=20
and not a 630hp P-917K :^)

I will probably stick to the 14X7" rim for now but may change to a wider=20
14" wheel in the future (10.1" brakes).
Actually I did need some coffee and aspirin this mornin', late night out on=
=20
Sat.
Sorry to come across a little grumpy.

Randy