chassis re-enforcement v.101

On Thu, 26 Dec 2002 06:34:46 -0800 "L F" <rocco16v@netzero.net> writes:
> If the strut towers are weak, how does bracing one against the other
> accomplish much?  Seems like all that would do is force the two
> towers to simply move in unison rather than independently?

The strut towers arent weak so-to-say. They flex a little, which I think
is normal as per the engineers. (Which is why some raced VW's tend to
crack around the strut towers. I know of several that ended their racing
this way.)

So, with this flexing that the strut towers do, the strut braces surely
dont completely eliminate the flexing they do but they can do much to
limit the flexing and thusly, improve handling and the longevidity of the
chassis.

How they work is this; Only one strut tower will flex at any one time.
Never both. So think of it as one strut tower leaning upon the other for
added support via the strut brace. Make sense? A welded unit would do
much more in terms of bracing but that limits certain necessary
maintenance tasks.

BTW, ive seen them on MUCH older (US) cars than VW's and they were
plane-jane street cars.

Dats dat.

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V   88' Corvette -AS- #30  2002 SDR Solo2 Champion
Scirocco" 84' Scirocco 8V 82' Scirocco RIP 80' Scirocco S 79' "Project
FSP
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco(s) in all of
San Diego!