50mm intake hurts performance!?

--0-1979249199-1040283508=:75635

I was reading the 8/86 Car and Driver review of the 16v Scirocco, and noticed this:

"The original prototype had excellent peak output, but its torque curve was a bit on the narrow side. By carefully tuning the intake-manifold design, including a reduction of the runner diameter from 2.0(50mm) to 1.7(42mm) inches, the engineers were able boost peak torque from 118 to 120 pounds-feet. Peak power was helf at 123hp, but the engine now has a broader torque curve than it originally did, developing 114 or more pounds-feet of torque from 3000 to 6000 rpm"

I always wondered why they went through the trouble of casting both 50mm and 42mm intakes, but is that the real reason?  Just wondering, I own an 8v myself but thought this was interesting-

Rob