From: "Robbie Cotner" <robw_z@yahoo.com>
To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 11:38 PM
Subject: 50mm intake hurts performance!?

> I was reading the 8/86 Car and Driver review of the 16v Scirocco, and
noticed this:

> "The original prototype had excellent peak output, but its torque curve
was a bit on the narrow side. By carefully tuning the intake-manifold
design, including a reduction of the runner diameter from 2.0(50mm) to
1.7(42mm) inches, the engineers were able boost peak torque from 118 to 120
pounds-feet. Peak power was helf at 123hp, but the engine now has a broader
torque curve than it originally did, developing 114 or more pounds-feet of
torque from 3000 to 6000 rpm"

> I always wondered why they went through the trouble of casting both 50mm
and 42mm intakes, but is that the real reason?  Just wondering, I own an 8v
myself but thought this was interesting-