help: Pulley squeel (scream)

Car in question is not a Rocco, but is an A1 - 1984
Rabbit Gti with York AC compressor.

I changed the alternator and reused the belt.  At the
time I also took out the belt that runs from the inner
crank pulley to the AC compressor (since I never use
it and will be pulling it soon).  The alternator belt
runs on the outer crank pulley to water pump to
alternator.   I put the belt as loose as possible but
still charging the battery and running the water pump.

At a specific RPM range, 2k-3k, there is a godawful
screeching sound.  IT sounds like metal rubbing on
metal, but I can't see any contact between pulleys, or
pulleys rubbing on block, etc.  I got under the car
and hear the sound coming from the water pump pulley
and maybe the crank pulley.  It sounds AWEFUL and
LOUD.  Below 2k rpm and above 3k rpm there is no
sound.

Can the belt running too loose cause the pulleys to
vibrate?  Any other ideas.  It sounds like the world
is coming to an end (or at least my engine!).

Thanks,

Victor