[tech] Audi 1.8T in a MKII Rocco???

> I'd simply drop it in there and manage the
> engine with an aftermarket system.

Well Scott, if you "simply" have $2k to spend, along
with the tuning skills to "simply" make the thing run
without burning a piston, you've got the right idea!
:)

There's nothing wrong with the VW engine management.
The aftermarket stuff is easier in the sense that it
comes with nice instructions for installing on any
engine in any car, but that's really about it for most
people. Unless you need to eek every last in/ounce of
torque from the thing it isn't any better than a good
chip in a stock ecu. I'm going to stick with a stock
Digifant 1 ecu on my G60 swap. If I run into
electrical issues I'll consider a TEC-II, but I have
no reason to believe it will be a problem at this
point.

Then again, if you're doing a 1.8t, which itself will
cost at least a couple grand for a good engine, you're
probably not a poor hack to begin with anyway. Don't
forget you need to accomodate for intercoolers,
intake/exhaust plumbing, fuel delivery, etc.

I researched a 1.8t for my car pretty heavily. Unless
you have some special requirements like racing rules
or such, it really is the best possible 4-cyl VW/Audi
engine. It's also far more expensive than any other
option.

The only real fitment issues I came across were with
the exhaust manifold. AFAIK, none of the manifolds
from US model cars will fit. Supposedly the Audi A3
(maybe S3?) manifold will work, but the few
conversions I've heard about used custom made
manifolds.

I ended up going G60 because for my application I
didn't want **any** turbo lag, and 225hp should be
plenty...350hp would be completely unusable. Not to
mention that I drove a '90 Corrado home for the less
than the cost of finding a 1.8t long block!

Neal

=====
~Neal