help: Pulley squeel (scream)

--=======281EB15=======

At 08:56 AM 4/9/02 -0700, Victor Farren wrote:

>Car in question is not a Rocco, but is an A1 - 1984
>Rabbit Gti with York AC compressor.
>
>I changed the alternator and reused the belt.  At the
>time I also took out the belt that runs from the inner
>crank pulley to the AC compressor (since I never use
>it and will be pulling it soon).  The alternator belt
>runs on the outer crank pulley to water pump to
>alternator.   I put the belt as loose as possible but
>still charging the battery and running the water pump.
>
>At a specific RPM range, 2k-3k, there is a godawful
>screeching sound.  IT sounds like metal rubbing on
>metal, but I can't see any contact between pulleys, or
>pulleys rubbing on block, etc.  I got under the car
>and hear the sound coming from the water pump pulley
>and maybe the crank pulley.  It sounds AWEFUL and
>LOUD.  Below 2k rpm and above 3k rpm there is no
>sound.
>
>Can the belt running too loose cause the pulleys to
>vibrate?  Any other ideas.  It sounds like the world
>is coming to an end (or at least my engine!).
>
>Thanks,
>
>Victor
Vic,  I think you kind of answered your own question here-
Loose belt.  Having a loose belt will squeal, as will having
a stuck alternator, A/C compressor waterpump, etc.

John C. Worden
Bucksport, Maine

'98 Dakota 4x4-Just rolled 100K
'86 Scirocco 8V-
'81 Scirocco 2.0 16V -
'78 Scirocco Brazil Brown Metallic,  4 speed.