PISSED!!!! Help me! Addition: All mechanics are crooks!

At 02:34 PM 04/06/2002 -0500, Mardak wrote:
>The first thing my high school auto teacher said to the class was: "All
>mechanics are crooks..."  End of lesson 1

So by teaching your class he was running a crime school?

His statement seems overly broad.  My take is that for the most part it is
not true.  I do think small independent shops - especially those that have
been around a while tend to be pretty honest.  The mechanics in dealerships
and chain repair shops are under a lot of pressure to "produce".  The
results of that pressure are pretty predictable.  Auto repair is an area
that is ripe for dishonesty.  Consumers are in a difficult position when
they are relying on someone for expert advice but are being given a "con"
job by being told that they need parts or service that are not really
needed.  You just have to find a good shop.  BTW in the Wash. DC area there
is a "Washington Consumers Checkbook" magazine. (I think San Diego has a
version of this.)  It is like a Consumer's Report but has ratings on
services, not products.  They were surprised to find that their statistics
indicated that there was an *inverse* relationship between price and
consumer satisfaction.  Consumers that were surveyed seemed to indicate
that the shops that did the best work were also the ones that charged at
the lower end of the scale.  Of course, dealerships had the highest hourly
rates and charged the most for parts.  They also had the lowest rates of
satisfied customers.  A partial explanation of the results may be that
people who paid the highest rates for parts and labor were much more
dissatisfied when the work was not done properly and done so the first
time.  I used to put a lot of faith in ASE certification, but another
surprising result was that shops with (at least some) ASE certified
mechanics did not fare any better in customer satisfaction than shops that
had none.

Chris