new to list

Wes Brockway wrote:

> Lucy, welcome to the list. It sounds like you have a "normal" Scirocco. I
> too have an '87 16V that has trouble idling when cold and is difficult to
> get into gear. I use a regular oil, 10W-30. Synthetics are ok if your engine
> is used to them but if not using a synthetic oil has been known to increase
> oil leaks.

Hey LucySoft (are you a LUCY?),   welcome welcome.

On the oil tip you should be putting in an oil a little on the thick
side (our older VW motor seem to like it that way) but it really depends
on temps where you are. So if you are up in Canada or Euro/UK somewhere
you might be a lot colder outside than my fellas down in southern
California.

10w30, 20w50 is a good thing. Really wide range viscosity has the
dubious quality of needing lots of additives (from the factory) to get
it behave like that.

Synthetics did have this bad habit of exposing places that would be
likely to leak. Since they 1st came out the companies have taken to
adding seal swelling stuff to cut down on the drips. (The basic idea
being that
the detergent qualities might clear away old gunk that has been trapped
up against old seals, which are drying out over time.)  Things have
improved since they 1st came out and any leaks are just a good
opportunity to replace old seals Anyway.   ;])

In any case, hope you find it fun here.

TBerk
got a Bentley?